Rubber Diaphragms for Cryogenic Actuators
Client Problem :
Development of rubber diaphragm that can withstand cryogenic conditions and withstand 1,000,000 cycles without significant deformation.
- Formulation was developed in NBR rubber using constituent that do not crystallize at low temperature.
- To prevent hardening at low temperature, waxes and plasticizers were avoided.
- Fine mesh carbon was used for easy dispersion and better mold flow.
- 2-3 suitable formulations were developed and gehman’s torsion test was conducted on all.
- The best formulation was selected for trials
- These uniquely designed rubber compound used to manufacture rubber diaphragm could easily withstand 1,000,000 cycles in trial runs.
- The cryogenic conditions did not significantly wear and tear the diaphragm
- Helped customer improve the service life of the product.